Diverse projects, innovative solutions
The past six months have been extremely busy across a wide range of sectors, utilising a variety of piling techniques/solutions nationwide. Some of these are highlighted below:
- 450mm diameter cased, augured, drilled and grouted mini-piles to form a contiguous piled wall around the periphery of a new city centre development in Aberdeen utilising 2 no. Hutte 205 rigs and a Boart Longyear DB102 drill rig.
- Sensitive 323mm diameter bottom driven piles have been installed within a sterile pharmaceutical environment in Hull to facilitate internal structural alterations.
- A 6m high retaining wall 50m long has been completed in Edinburgh, using closely spaced, heavily reinforced 200mm diameter Continuously Grouted Micropiles. The wall had to be designed to withstand the active earth pressure induced by the retained earth and a six storey tenement block foundation located immediately behind the top of the wall. TGS also installed over three hundred piles, for the main foundation bases, crane base and temporary propping supports.
- Between September 2014 and April 2015, TGS completed various phases of piling works around Kings College Hospital in Denmark Hill, London. The works are to facilitate vertical expansion of two major hospital buildings. The restricted access/low headroom piling included contiguous piled walls and foundation/tower crane bearing piles. 450mm diameter temporary cased/augured piles were installed to depths up to 25m, using our Soilmec SM4 and Klemm 702 mini-piling rigs. A final phase of work commences in August 2015, upon removal of the existing underground walkways.
- During the Easter Bank holiday period, TGS acted as Principal Contractor on a printing plant in Burscough. The works involved breaking out existing floor areas and installing new piled bases and slabs to support highly sensitive printing machinery. Other ancillary works were undertaken and successfully completed during the shutdown period.
Other specialised works have recently been carried out in the Rail (station upgrade in East Scotland), Utilities (effluent plant in NW England) and Petrochemical sectors (plant modernisation in Stanlow).
In House Design
All works undertaken by TGS are designed in-house which enables us to offer competitive solutions using innovative techniques. These include the successful high-capacity Continuous Grouted Micropile, which TGS introduced to the UK market. TGS are an Engineer led business, with a focus on providing high-quality, sustainable and practicable solutions. We test all our systems rigorously, often to failure and prior to contract commencement, enabling the use of optimal design parameters.
Exemplary Indemnity Insurance
To meet the ever increasing requirements of Collateral Warranties, TGS carry market leading levels of insurance. We have in place £10 million cover for Professional Indemnity, Employers Liability, Public Liability and Products Liability. This level of insurance comes at a significant cost, so it is important when comparing piling costs/rates that this issue is seriously considered.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Due to both the Institution of Civil and Structural Engineers now insisting on mandatory Continuous Professional Development (CPD), the technical lunchtime presentations carried out by our Technical Director Kevin Christie and Paul Woodfield, are running at record levels.
The presentation focuses on a wide range of specialist geotechnical solutions and is not for the faint- hearted. The consequences of insufficient site investigation and testing are featured together with the criticality of choosing the appropriate geotechnical technique for the site and ground conditions.
There are too many geotechnical failures occurring in the UK, primarily due to the balance between cost and risk not being properly considered. We very much hope that the lunchtime presentation will at least raise awareness.
Should you wish to book a lunchtime presentation (with free buffet included), please contact Jill.email@example.com.